A family member had a problem with their HP G62 laptop not displaying anything on the screen. I naturally thought it was a user related error until further investigating. The WIFI indicator light was showing orange, the Caps Lock light was out and the hard disk wasn't doing anything. I found the trouble shooting steps for the laptop and went through them doing the following.
- Test the memory by removing SIMMs one at a time
- Checking the hard disk
- Trying an external hard disk
But nothing worked and the usual check, the Caps Lock flashing light didn't display anything then I chanced on the following post on the HP website. The key piece of information here was that I think the BIOS had become corrupted. To solve the problem I did the following.
- Remove all peripherals from the laptop
- Remove power supply
- Remove battery
- Hold down the power button for 30 seconds (to drain any power from the laptop and hard reset it)
- Then start up the laptop while holding down the Windows and B key together
Surprisingly the screen burst into life and the machine began to rebuild/reinstall the BIOS and suddenly worked! While doing so the caps lock light flashed several times.
I hope this helps someone.